Tuesday 17 January 2012

Walthamstow

Tuesday, 17 January 2012, 20:08
A very cold morning when I started out at 7.40am.  Started well when I caught up with the female( Red-breasted Merganser) that Terry and Kevin have both seen recently.  It flew up (with 2 male Goosander) from the channel that runs west of the Banbury Res but was south of the path there, so inside Walthamstow Res.  Didn't see it close but from Terry and Kevin's description it does have the distinctive dark patches round the eyes so is the "usual" bird.  This has been returning every winter since at least 24 Dec 2005.  But it may have been coming here longer than that.
Very cold with most of the Lee Navigation frozen, so not many birds on that, but Teal and Tufted Duck in the channels.  Probably two Water Rails, as I saw one just east of Stonebridge Lock at 8.30 and then one at the Green Bridge at 10am (thanks to Terry who had seen this one earlier). As I walked on to Stonebridge Wood, a large falcon flew NW over my head.  When I got to the NW of the West Marsh there was an adult Peregrine sitting on the Gasometer, which I presume was this bird.  it flew off NE.
Had a shouting conversation across the Lee Navigation with Terry - he'd seen a couple of groups of Fieldfare that I didn't see (27 in total?).
When I left at 10.30, the (Red-breasted Merganser) was asleep on the west edge of the Banbury Res with four Goosander.  A Lapwing flew south over Banbury and then Walthamstow Res as I left.
Pete   (Nice to see that you got up early for a change). lol kjm.

No comments:

Post a Comment